Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Finalmente, He llegado

I know, I know. Late to be the first post, but it's been difficult! I have been in Mexico exactly two weeks to the day, and it's wonderful. The culture and language mix to give an authentic latin-american feel, one that I live and breathe every day.

I have had a lot of firsts in Mexico, the change in culture has been swift yet smooth as I begin to transition into La Vida Mexicana, "The Mexican Life". One thing i've had to get used to is their greeting, the well-known european kiss on two cheeks is dulled down to only one cheek in Mexico. I still find it a bit strange, and sometimes lean back when my personal zone is being entered, but then quickly realize and greet.






Living on campus is nice, being close to classes. The Campus is absolutely gorgeous. You could get lost in all of the gardens that hide the buildings. Stone statues and exotic plants create a labyrinth to get lost in behind most of the academic buildings. A spouting fountain, la fuente, marks the center of campus where the student body congregates on sunny days, which is everyday. The architecture is notable as well. The first place i've been where I can hang out on the rooftops of some of the buildings, because some buildings are both half underground and half above ground, allowing the rooftops to be accessed to pass over. There is rarely anyone up there though, and I find it a tranquil place to stay. On the warm days, I get to enjoy sitting out on my balcony overlooking my section of campus and play guitar 3 stories up.










Yesterday, I traveled with a few friends into Puebla, the big City outside of Cholula. There, we witnessed our first car accident where a car tried to cut off a bus. It ended with the car spinning around and then, them both driving their separate ways. Strange. Both Puebla and Cholula, (everywhere in this area) are famous for the many churches that inhabit the city. There are dozens of beautiful churches lined with gold, dozens of statues of saints. It adds to the aesthetic feel of the city.






I've already had a week of classes after the inscription process. I decided to take Drawing:representation and perspective, Marketing, Business Ethics, and International Logistics. International Logistics is the only one taught in english, so it's nice that I'm getting a few classes to practice spanish in. I don't talk much yet in class unfortunately, not because I don't have anything to say, but because I'm thinking of what I want to say in english and then not being able to translate it fast enough. Also, being timid me, it's difficult to bring myself to speak out in class when I'm the only exchange student, a few of my classes are all mexicans, and me!

I just returned from lunch today, where I had a few quesadillas. I can definitely say that I could get used to the pricing here. Most of the time, lunch and dinner out for 3 with a meal and drink each comes to about $11 or $12... total. for all 3 people. I spend on average between $3-8 for a full meal. Can't complain with that!

This weekend has a few possibilities, travel to Oxaca with Gregorio(the spaniard) and Bram(The Dutch), or stay on campus this weekend and see Cirque du Soleil on friday. We'll see! I can't wait to travel a bit and experience a bit of the rest of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment